Three hours later we arrive in a shanty town west of Naivasha. We are met by cheering and waving. Children amass around the minibus desperate for a glimpse of the superstar with us in the field today. As soon as he gets down from the minibus they flock towards him pushing each other forward till one of them has the courage to touch his arm. There is a moments pause to see how he will react. When he smiles the floodgates open and he is mobbed, everyone desperate to touch his white skin and play games with him. Our really good friend, Antony is visiting us this week. Admittedly not David Beckham, but it is hard to imagine a more welcoming response even if it were goldenballs himself. Antony had the pleasure of being sardined in to a twelve seater with twenty other passengers yesterday preparing the village for the examination team’s arrival today. His persuasive powers came in very handy when two ladies in their nineties, both in need of eye care took their chances on taking advantage of the kind looking stranger. One insisting on him buying her a kilogram of sugar before she’d come to the clinic!
Antony and Richard (team driver) returned an hour or so later with more patients and helped them in to our temporary clinic. A tin roofed shack surrounded by litter and children peering in the door to get a glimpse of what must be a very alien site to them: shiny eye equipment, flashing lights and smartphones.
Cosmas, our team engineer fixing an electricity supply for the equipment
The eye clinic
Antony and the village guide
An grandmother being guided by her grandson to the clinic. Blindness affects more than the individual…
Recipe – Sticky Toffee Pudding
- 190g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 120g soft brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 120ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 125g butter
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 6 tbsp double cream
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the sugar and mix well.
- In another bowl add the milk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk together until a light frothy foam forms on top.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour and mix together until smooth.
- Pour into greased baking dish and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until cake is firm on top; start checking after 20 minutes.
- For the sauce, add the butter, sugar and cream to a large saucepan and simmer over medium high heat until sauce is smooth and dark brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes before serving with pudding.