“Imagine they’re not here”
Well, that is what I tell the team as two film crews and a couple of photographers roam around the eye clinic.
Two major African media companies picked up on the project following the BBC coverage and asked if they could come and film us in the field. We decided it was best to have them all on one day to minimize disruption to the project.
It was pretty much work as usual and the team were their professional selves, despite mammoth camera lenses and studio lights in their faces.
Madeleine made some incredible melt in the mouth biscuits for this village’s bake. Plenty of extra were made so the crews could have a few and we could try and drop in the bakery plans. We figured once it opens we are not going to have funds to market it extensively so if we can get some local media coverage it could really help get things moving.
The convoy including the film crews on route to the clinic
Recipe – Almond Crunch Butter Biscuits
200g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
150g cold, cubed butter
125g caster sugar
1 egg – lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp milk
1 egg white, lightly beaten
Demerara sugar and finely chopped almonds to sprinkle
1. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and butter in a mixer until it looks like breadcrumbs
2. Stir in the caster sugar, then add the egg and vanilla extract and combine till the mixture comes together. Mix in a little milk if the dough feels dry
3. Place the dough on a long sheet of cling film and make in to a 3cm diameter sausage tightly wrapped by the cling film, place in the fridge for around 1-2 hours (or freezer for less) till he dough feels firm to touch
4. Preheat the oven to 180ºC
5. Take the dough out of the fridge, unwrap and slice with a sharp knife in to about 1.5 cm slices. Lay out on a baking tray with a few centimetres between each biscuit.
6. Glaze each biscuit with egg white and a good sprinkle of sugar and chopped almonds
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until they’ve risen slightly and look lightly golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack
Lucas playing Hide and Seek